If your NAT type is Moderate or Strict in the new COD: MW then you may face some trouble playing the game online. These problems range from connection losses from game servers, not being able to play with friends or host a game, to various other multiplayer network issues.
So in this FIX/ Guide, we will show some methods you can follow to hopefully change the NAT status from Strict/Moderate to Open. And in the process make your COD: MW online experience worthwhile.
NAT Type Moderate/Strict Fix for COD MW
NOTE: We need to figure out IP addresses for PS4 and XBOX ONE since for the same internet connection these can have different IP addresses, which we will use in the method. For PC users the method is pretty straightforward as there should be only one IP address.
- If you use a dynamic IP then change it to static IP first, before port forwarding.
- Here is How to change IP from dynamic to static.
How to find the IP address of PS4?
- Head over to Settings > Network > View Connection Status
- On the Connection Status tab look for Your IP address and note it down somewhere.
FIX (XBOX ONE)
How to find the IP address for XBOX ONE?
- Settings > Network > Network Settings > Advanced Settings > IP settings > IP address
- Now note that IP address somewhere.
- Even if the status on your XBOX ONE says Open, it does not mean that the Ports are open in-game. So follow these methods regardless of that.
List of Ports
- For COD: Modern Warfare ( PC ) – TCP: 3074 | UDP: 3074
- For COD: Modern Warfare (PS4) – TCP: 1935, 3478-3480 | UDP: 3074, 3478-3479
- For COD: Modern Warfare (XBOX ONE) – TCP: 3074 | UDP: 88, 500, 3074, 3544, 4500
- Open the command prompt as an administrator (right-click on the Command prompt and select run as admin)
- type ipconfig and press enter.
- Then you need to check the address of your default gateway.
- Type that in your web browser and open your Router/ Modem’s Login page.
- Usually, the password for the login should be “admin” without quotes. If it does not work, just google your respective Modem and look for the default ID and pass.
How To Port Forward
- Look for a port forward tab listed on either the left or the right column of the page. Usually, it is located under the Advanced Tab.
- Now just name your port forwards in the sense of which one you are forwarding ports for (PS4 for PS4 IP and ports and so on). After doing the port forwarding for your respective platform, click on save or apply changes.
- And you should be good to go! Go in-game and check if the NAT Type is open or not.
- Note that some ISPs will not allow client port forwarding directly, so you need to give them a call and take their help in forwarding the ports.
If you are having a tough time forwarding ports, or you are confused, follow this link on how to forward ports.
And that is how you can change the NAT Type of COD Modern Warfare 2019 from Moderate/Strict to Open. This method has worked for most of the players out there. If you still face this issue after trying all the methods listed, contact the developers here.
Last Updated on January 15, 2022
A computer science graduate by qualification, Zoid loves to keep himself updated with the latest gaming content related to PC, Android, and other platforms as well. Likes to keep his diet and health in check from time to time!