In this guide, we will show you the steps to Beat Alatreon in Monster Hunter World (MHW): Iceborne. This black dragon is particularly difficult to beat due to its ability to switch elements on will. There are a few tips to go past that and defeat him, but they need to be followed carefully.
Also, if you want to know Alatreon Amor, weapons, and skills you can check it out here. Find out more about the game with our other MHW: Iceborne guides.
How to Beat Alatreon in MHW: Iceborne
STEP 1: Deal Maximum elemental damage
Alatreon will spawn in either ice or fire element, depending on the quest type. Pick your build accordingly.
- From the get-go, start dealing as much elemental damage as you can.
- This will “Flinch” Alatreon and remove his elemental buff.
- Keep dealing damage until you get the indication “you have suppressed the elements”
STEP 2: Aim to break Alatreon’s Horns
- The horn of Alatreon is a key point on him.
- Your aim will be to break it as soon as possible. The Hitpoint is on the lower side, so it won’t be that difficult to break.
- The easy way to do it is to cling onto Alatreon’s head and hit it against the walls. Once it is down, every player should pile onto his head and start damaging his horns.
- You can only break his horns in the “Dragon phase” so keep that in mind.
STEP 3: Healing from Escaton Judgement damage
- Once you break the horns, Alatreon will enter a move called Escation Judgement.
- Your main objective will be to carry the most effective healable to restore health to full.
- One of the suggested healing items can be an Astera Jerky. As soon as he charges and deals damage, consume it to restore health.
- Make sure you have Suppressed elements as mentioned in Step 1. If not, the chances of survival will be impossible.
STEP 4: What to do IF you did not break Alatreons’ Horns
- If you missed the Dragon Phase where you needed to break his horns, do not worry.
- The situation becomes tricky since now it can switch elements.
- If you have the same elements as his, it will deal with NO damage. The only alternative is to survive.
- Simply survive his attacks and wait for the Dragon Phase to come again, in order to break his horns.
Tips and Tricks to beat Alatreon
- Do not base your build on elemental weaknesses alone. this will cost you a lot of time and effort for little outcomes.
- Carry Temporal Mantle to latch onto his head, to break his horns.
- If you do not carry the best builds, bring weapons that do opposite damage to what you start with.
- For example, if Alatreon starts with Fire, Bring Ice, and vice versa.
- Dodging is important, so make sure you get it down correctly.
- If you are running Multiplayer, make sure everybody is carrying a different element. This will deal with the optimal damage possible.
- You can also run it solo since the HP threshold will be less, and so will be the Flinch time.
That will be all for this guide. If you face any trouble, let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading!