Monster Hunter World: Iceborne is a visual spectacle to experience. This is attributed to the extensive graphics options the game has. Balancing can be quite tricky for the players. If you plan to make tweaks in the in-game graphics settings, we have an article showing the best graphics settings for MHW: Iceborne. However, the game hogs a lot of CPU usage, which in turn causes other performance issues with the game. In this guide, we aim to fix those issues with some suggestive tips and workarounds.
MHW: Iceborne Performance Fixes for PC
NVIDIA and AMD Control Panel Settings
NVIDIA Control Panel Tweaks
- Open the NVIDIA control panel and select Manage 3D settings.
- Click on Program Settings Tab
- From the drop-down list of applications, select monsterhunterworld.exe.
- Do the following changes there:
- Anisotropic Filtering – 16X
- Anti-Aliasing Mode – Enhance the Application Setting
- Antialiasing Setting – 8x
- Preferred Refresh Rate – Highest Possible
- Texture Filtering Negative LOD bias – Clamp
- Texture Filtering Quality – High Quality
- Click apply and you will be done with it.
- Also, make sure the Fidelity FX CAS + Upscaling is ON in-game.
AMD Control Panel
- Radeon Anti-lag – Enabled
- Radeon Chill – Disabled
- Boost – Disabled
- Image Sharpening – Enabled
- Sharpness – 80%
- Enhanced Sync – Disabled
- Wait for a vertical refresh – Always off
- Anti-Aliasing Mode: Use Application settings
- Anti-aliasing Method: Multi-sampling
- Morphological Filtering: Off
- Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Use application settings
- Texture Filtering Quality: Performance
- Surface Format Optimization: On
- Wait for V-sync: Off
- OpenGL Triple Buffering: Off
- Shader Cache: AMD optimized
- Tesselation Mode: Override application settings
- Maximum Tesselation Level: Off
- GPU Workload: Graphics
- Frame Rate Target Control: Disabled
CPU usage Fixes
NOTE: This step involves Modding. Make a backup for your files before proceeding. And Mod at your own Risk!
- After downloading and extracting the file, Locate Monster Hunter Worlds’ Folder.
- you can do this by clicking on the icon on the desktop and clicking on the show file location.
- Usually, it is …./your installed Drive/Steam/Steam Apps/common/Monster Hunter World
- Drag the “nativePC” folder from the extraction point, into this folder.
- Put the file(s) from the Plugins folder of the mod, here inside the Plugins folder of “nativePC.”
- And that should be it. Here is the link from Nexusmods.
If you, however, hesitate to mod files, simply skip this step.
Close CPU hogging Tasks
- Open your Task Manager by typing it in the search bar of windows.
- You can also press CTRL + ALT + DEL / SHIFT + CTRL + Esc to open it.
- Under the Processes Tab, click on it once to sort it by Maximum to Minimum usage.
- If you see any unnecessary applications using the CPU, click on it, and select the end task.
Disabling Steam in-game Overlay
- Open the Steam app and under “Library” find MHW: Iceborne.
- Right-click on it and go to General Tab.
- Uncheck the “Enable the steam overlay while in-game” option.
Delete MHW: Iceborne Profile in NVIDIA inspector
- First of all, if you do not have the Inspector, download it from here.
- Install it and located the MHW game.
- After doing that simply delete the profile.
As reported by many players, this has helped with their performance boost.
In-game tweaks to reduce CPU load
We have advanced in-game graphics settings for Monster Hunter World: Iceborne. But amongst all the other settings, if you struggle with very high CPU usages, make sure to turn off Volume Rendering Quality, Setting the lowest option for Shadow Quality, and turning down the Level of Detail to Lowest. Also, cap your frames to 60FPS.
Update AMD and NVIDIA Graphics Drivers
Keep your computer’s graphics drivers updated just to be safe.
- For NVIDIA graphics cards – install new drivers from here.
- For AMD graphics cards – install new drivers from here.
Optimize Windows for Best Performance
If you’re struggling with FPS and high CPU usages, you can optimize your Windows system as well:
- Open the Windows start menu and type: View advanced system settings and click on the search result
- Got to the Advanced tab. Now click on Settings under Performance
- Check the option that says “Adjust for best performance”
Change Frames Per Second to 30
- Go to the display settings of the game.
- dial down the FPS from 60 to 30.
- This will make the game look a bit blurry, but you will notice that the CPU usage has been reduced by about 20%
- You can also use MSI Afterburner to change the FPS used. But make sure you know what you are doing. IF you do not have the knowledge to tweak MSI Afterburner, we recommend to not use it at all. Make the changes from in-game only.
Disabling Discord Acceleration
If you happen to use discord:
- Go to User Settings
- Go to the Appearance tab.
- Uncheck Hardware Acceleration.
The above Tweaks and changes should help you to decrease the load from the CPU and increase performance by quite a bit. If you face any issues after doing certain changes, restore your PC to an earlier date to undo the changes. Or you can simply revert back to the particular tweak you did to the system. We are open to any questions or suggestions regarding the article. That will be all!