Risk of Rain 2 is doing well since its release, and building a strong community of creative players. A game where survival is all that matters along with some insane action, the skill set and innovative combos along with good builds are key to you lasting more than others.
So, Let us look at one such character/survivor in Risk of Rain 2 called The Mercenary. We will read about the character skills, item build and a possible way to play it. The Mercenary excels in Melee Combat and apparently has the ability to fly. It is a tricky character to pick with risky as well as deadly moves, hence the higher the risk the higher the reward sits fit here!
Check out other Risk of Rain 2 Guides:
- Artificer Guide How to Play!
- How to Unlock All Characters + Fastest Way
- How To Restore Lost Unlocks/Progress Guide
- Review and before Purchase
HOW TO PLAY MERCENARY
- LASER SWORD
- BLINDING ASSAULT
- CYBERNETIC ENHANCEMENTS
- ITEM BUILD SUGGESTION
COOLDOWN : 1 Hit/sec
Holding Down Laser Sword
- It is recommended to get a hang of this move as initially it can be difficult. However, it is a strong attack as you can chain and/or use it with other attacks making it very versatile. Hold on to Laser Sword before activating Whirlwind or Blinding Assault and Mercenary will keep attacking through its animation allowing you to do other skills as well.
Combining with Wax Quail
- If your Blinding Assault is on cooldown and you have a Wax Quail, you can utilize this to charge up the three strikes before you end up at the enemy then jump and hit the 3rd one then cancel it if you want. This also allows you to get two attacks in before reaching the enemy. Time it right and you can do decent damage to your enemy. You can use it with your sprint as well, to move and slash.
COOLDOWN : 3s
- Always try to use this move, and try to have 1-2 Backup Magazines. This skill will dash you forward, which can sometimes make you miss those next hits if you are too close to the enemy, so maintain a mid range distance.
It is recommended to use it to close the gaps between you and the enemy. Using it for crowd control is also an option.
Cancel 3rd hit of the laser sword with an aerial Whirlwind to dish out a burst of 530% damage. Also utilize it while jumping to land two hefty slashes on the enemy and get a short jump boost.
Be careful of the delay as it can mess up your combos. Manage to get a Backup Magazine so that you can cancel one Whirlwind into another Whirlwind.
- As said earlier this helps you to dash while on the ground, so if you dont manage to find a mobility item this can help you explore the world a bit quicker. Jump in the air and use it to stay there. Burn all charges of Whirlwind before you jump so that the cooldown sets in while you jump. Reach decent distances using this move.
COOLDOWN : 7s
- Note that this attack has NO end delay. Take advantage of this by using your skills as soon as this skill finishes or you reach a point. Allowing you to do Laser Sword-Whirlwind cancel right after you do Blinding Assault, dishing out 730% burst is actually impressive.
- It is wise sometimes to take a step back! Well how about taking manyt steps back. A single dash alone can help you to flee out of the spot and maybe do damage to some enemies while doing it. Keep in mind that even while running away, landing a Whirlwind cancel is worthwhile as it has chances to kill an enemy, while reducing the damage you take.
- Blinding assault can sometimes help you reach, potentially unreachable places. Double jump and dash towards it. Managing to actually hit something can take you further, so keep that in mind. Combine this with Eviscerate and Whirlwind to really push the mobility on this character!
COOLDOWN : 6s
- Makes you dash & then do 7 attacks in 1.5 sec. This also has no end delay giving it the same features as that of the Blinding Assault. having the same Dash range as blinding assault this should not be hard to put down. It is however, recommended that since you cannot be damaged during the animation, so save it for those big boss fights. Following up Eviscerate with a charge of Blinding Assault is a tough task as you have fractions of seconds to do it. Sometimes even if you spam it, still it wont happen so keep this move like a random one. Usage is recommended ideally, when Whirlwind and Blinding Assault are in cooldown.
COOLDOWN : Passive
Fall Damage Saver And Combo Help
- Allows you to attack aerial enemies when Blinding Assault is on cooldown and prevents fall-damage when Whirlwind is on cooldown. Also helps you to keep up with tanky bosses and to assist you in finishing off those combos while in the air. Works well with Wax Quail.
- Combine it With Blinding Assault to one shot wisps and make quick work of them. It’s all a matter of managing your cooldowns properly. Once mastered it can grant a lot of air time and make the fight against aerial enemies an easier aspect.
Laser Sword = M1
Whirlwind = M2
Blinding Assault = SHIFT
Eviscerate = R
- M1+M2 – 530% damage
- SHIFT+M1+M2 – 730% damage
- SHIFT+M1 – about 330% damage
- 3xSHIFT+M1 – 990% damage
- SHIFT+M1+M2+M1+R+M1+M2 – 2160% damage
- (Having 1+ Backup Magazines) 2xM1+M2
- (+1 Backup Magazine) SHIFT towards M1+M2+SHIFT up+SHIFT down+M1+M2
- How to get the maximum dashing distance??
Sprint > 1st Jump >Whirlwind >Blinding Assault >Eviscerate >2nd Jump > Whirlwind.
make sure to drop for half a second before going for it again.
ITEM BUILD SUGGESTION
- Backup Magazine: Just to make the combos weave and flow well.
- Armor Piercing Rounds: Important core item
- Wax Quail: Mobility issues? this is the key ( Helps during mobility ability cooldowns)
- Foreign Fruit: For better survival.
- Fuel Cell: Only one of these can add decently to the arsenal.
- Alien Head, Brainstalks, and Hardlight Afterburner: Damage per sec. boost.
- H3AD-ST v2: Helps with combos.
- Unstable Tesla Coil: Another Damage per sec. Boost item.
ALTERNATIVE TO CORE BUILD
- Tougher Times, Monster Tooth, Personal Shield Generator, Medkit, Leeching Seed, Harvester’s Scythe, Infusion, Dio’s Best Friend, Rejuvenation Rack and Gnarled Woodsprite (if you don’t get Foreign Fruit): All these to increase survival time.
- Lens-Maker’s Glasses, Tri-Tip Dagger, and Brilliant Behemoth: Item which stack to increase the chance to proc and activate surely helps in combat!
- Gasoline, Will-o’-the-Wisp, Ceremonial Dagger, Frost Relic, and Happiest Mask: Use these for your own chain conversion kills or pass it to a Hunter player for decent results.
- Goat’s Hoof, Energy Drink, Hopoo Feather, Old War Stealth Kit: More mobility means fluid motions and less damage so, these items do not hurt at all.
- N’Kuhana’s Opinion: Decent Healing
- Soldier’s Syringe, Warbanner, Predatory Instincts, and Beserker’s Pauldron: Buffs up the attack speed but you also have to land those in order to make an impact.
- Rose Buckler: Enables to sprint and attack at the same time, which means offense and defense at once!
That was Suggestive as well as detailed guide on how to go about playing the Mecenary. If you have found out unique ways to play him better, do let us know down in the comments and/or in our Facebook Page.
thats all friends!