This guide shares a method to improve the game’s performance in Marvel’s Midnight Suns. This post will also show you the save file location and some of its fixes for the game.
Fixes and Save File Location For Marvel’s Midnight Suns
No, Denuvo is not it. Any game that runs slower than RE8 (which was Capcom with adding their layer of DRM on top) is not due to Denuvo.
Modern PC gaming is plagued with Shader Compilation Stuttering, brought on by modern systems’ increased Shader complexity, the advent of Ray-tracing, DirectX12, and the awful way Unreal Engine 4 handles Shader Compilation.
Since there is no one-button solution for it and it doesn’t affect consoles, many developers don’t care and force this on us. Either a Precompilation Method or an Asynchronous Compiler must be implemented. Furthermore, they don’t want to cope with that. Devs are disregarding a significant issue that primarily affects UE4.
- The good news is that this game’s issues appear to be partially caused by Shader Compilation and partially by THE DAMNED 2K Launcher, which launches the 32-bit executable rather than the 64-bit one.
- Moreover, it appears that cloud-based file storage is problematic.
- Additionally, the download cache may be causing the stutter.
There are issues everywhere, but Denuvo is not one of them. So, how do I fix them? The answer lies below.
Bypass the 2K Launcher
We have a more in-depth guide on disabling the 2K Launcher on Steam. In short:
- In your Steam Library, right-click the game, select Manage, and then select Browse Game Files.
- Look through the following folders in the game’s folder:
MidnightSuns -> Binaries folder – >Win64
- MidnightSuns-Win64-Shipping.exe can be located here.
- Filepath should be copied to the exe
If you’re unsure of how here’s a guide:
- Add a \ (alt+92), click the Windows Address Bar at the top, then copy the recommended file path for the exe.
- On your Steam Library, right-click the game.
- After pasting the filepath we copied between double quotes ” and added a space and a %command% at the end, choose Properties.
Example of what this should look like:
“D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Marvel’s Midnight Suns\MidnightSuns\Binaries\Win64\MidnightSuns-Win64-Shipping.exe” %command%
Although it doesn’t exactly make sense, this does seem to be helpful. The game itself is strange.
Clear Steam’s Download Cache
- Click Clear Download Cache under Download in the Steam Settings menu (upper left of the Steam Client).
- Reconnect to Steam.
Turn off Raytracing in the game’s settings by going there. It is broken in the current state of the game. You ought to be good to go.
If you continue to experience issues, try to:
- Change the game’s settings on the Nvidia control panel by switching Low Latency to Ultra and Energy Profile to Maximum Performance. (Don’t utilize your driver’s control panel if you don’t know how.)
- Additionally, you can try switching the renderer in-game to Directx11, which does not produce Shader caches. But it can cause the game to lag in another way so take caution before doing this.
Fixes For Linux
Since a patch to make 2K games playable again, the launcher removes itself from Proton, but given how much performance has improved on Windows, we might want to remove it as well. I haven’t yet tried this out on my deck. Since it uses the same approach as Civ6, it SHOULD function.
Add this to the Launch Commands for Steam.
eval $( echo "%command%" | sed "s/2KLauncher\/LauncherPatcher.exe'.*/Base\/Binaries\/Win64\/MidnightSuns-Win64-Shipping.exe'/" )
If that fails, try:
eval $( echo "%command%" | sed "s/2KLauncher\/LauncherPatcher.exe'.*/Base\/Binaries\/Win64Steam\/MidnightSuns-Win64-Shipping.exe'/" )
How To Fix Save File Issues and Save Location
In the current state of the game, the saves for it are somewhat bugged. If you use the cloud save feature or delete the 2K launcher before the save file is created, you will have a hard time finding the save files in the first place. We have a few fixes for that:
Marvel’s Midnight Suns Save Location
By default, this is where the location for the save file should be:
- %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Marvel’s Midnight Suns\Saved_Steam_<user-id>\SaveGames (Windows)
- <Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/368260/pfx/ (Linux)
How To Fix Saving File Issues
First, you must go to – %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Marvel’s Midnight Suns\. There should be two directories here. If that is the case, do the following:
- Go to the Steam one and copy the savegame directory to the other one.
- Check the folder’s content; it should have one file per save created.
Most users have said that this wholly fixed all their issues their problems go away like magic. I hope yours get fixed too. You can leave a message for me in the comments section if you want. I will be back soon with more such fixes. Till then, take care and have a fantastic day! Goodbye.
Last Updated on January 21, 2024
An avid listener of music from a number of countries. Writing is his hobby and passion. A follower of all the latest android and PC games. Not to mention his favorite: Mobile Legends!